Community Presbyterian Church
©Community Presbyterian Church 2011, site designed by ©KS Design & Hosting
Community Presbyterian Church is a family of believers committed to Jesus Christ and to following his teaching and commandments. The Holy Spirit leads us to deepen our faith as we learn to share the love of God and to respond to the needs of our community and the world.
Community Presbyterian Church was the first church in Clewiston. When the church was first established April 1, 1927 it was simple called Community Church. Community Church was a non-denominational church. Services were held in a one room school house built after the 1926 hurricane washed the first school house away. When a new brick school house was erected in 1928 the church bought the one room school house and moved it to Royal Palm Ave.
As the only house of worship in town it was used by other denominations wishing to hold their own services. Catholics were the first to hold services here until the completion of their own St. Margaret’s Church in 1931. Episcopal and Methodist also used this church for their services during organizational periods.
The first entirely new building was constructed on this property in 1950, the corner stone laying ceremony being held on Easter Sunday April 9th, 1950. It was at this time Presbyterian was added to the name of the church. The Sunday school wing was added in 1955. It was at this time the old school house building was torn down due to an infestation of termites.
At present Community Presbyterian Church spreads the word of Christ through out our community. We try to support our community thru Compassion Avenue in which we provide food to those that have fellen on hard times. We have also provided medical mission trips to Brazil and Nicaragua, and will conintue into the future. By supporting our community and the communities abroad we help spread the word of Christ and provide support when needed.
In our future we would like to provide more services to our community. We are excited to work with those in our community to extend a healing hand and help to grow and expand the love of Christ within this community and abroad. We are hopeful in expanding our reach into the community that it will bring everyone closer together and offer support to those that need it.