Community Presbyterian Church
Community Presbyterian Church is a family of believers committed to Jesus Christ and to following his teaching and commandments. The Holy Spirit leads us to deepen our faith as we learn to share the love of God and to respond to the needs of our community and the world.
When the Presbyterians established a church in Clewiston, in 1925, it was known simply as Community Church. There were hardly any buildings in town, and ours was the only church.
Originally, Community Church met on Francisco St, in a wood frame school building hastily constructed after a storm washed the original one-room school house away in 1926. When a new brick school building was erected in 1928, the church purchased the old wood-frame school house, and moved it to our current site on Royal Palm Ave.
As the only church in town, Community Church let other denominations use its facility until they had their own. Catholic mass was held here, until completion of St. Margaret’s in 1931. Later, the Epis-copal and Methodist congregations held their services at Community Church.
The present church building was constructed in 1950. That’s also when “Presbyterian” was added to the church’s name. A Sunday School wing was added In 1955, and in 1964 the new Fellowship Hall was completed, on the spot of the original school house chapel, which had become unusable due to termite damage.
In 2012, Community Presbyterian Church began the process of dismissal from the Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA) through Tropical Florida Presbytery’s Gracious Separation Agreement. On Sunday, October 27, 2013, Community Presbyterian Church was formally transferred from the PCUSA to the Florida Presbytery of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC).
Community Presbyterian Church supports our community thru Compassion Avenue in which we provide food to those that have fallen on hard times. We also provide support that is needed in other parts of the world with mission trips.
By supporting our community and the communities abroad we help spread the word of Christ.
We are excited to work with those in our community to extend a healing hand and help to grow and expand the love of Christ within this community and abroad. We are hopeful in expanding our reach into the community that it will bring everyone closer together and offer support to those that needs it.